Ratified & Adopted April 12, 2016
Article I – Name & Location
- The name of this organization is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Faculty and Staff Association (LGBTQ-FSA) of University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC).
- This organization is located at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC).
Article II – Mission
The mission of the LGBTQ-FSA is to advocate and support opportunities for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer faculty, staff and students at UMBC. This broad goal encompasses the following specific aims:
- Represent and advocate for LGBTQ faculty and staff visibility and concerns at the departmental, college, administrative, shared governance, and policy levels at UMBC.
- Represent LGBTQ visibility and UMBC diversity to the larger community
- Promote reflection of LGBTQ experiences university-wide through the curriculum.
- Advance recruitment, retention and promotion of LGBTQ faculty and staff.
- Aid in recruitment, retention and graduation rates of LGBTQ students
- Provide advocacy and support for the LGBTQ student experience at UMBC.
Article III – Membership & Meetings
- Membership is open to current UMBC full-time faculty and staff.
- Members shall be self-identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or other identity-terms deemed directly related by the membership.
- Membership is indicated by joining the myUMBC LGBTQ-FSA group.
- All members shall have a vote and all votes shall be equal (one member-one vote).
- A Faculty Subcommittee shall be made up of full-time faculty members of the LGBTQ-FSA
- A Staff Subcommittee shall be made up of full-time staff members of the LGBTQ-FSA
- All subcommittee members shall have a vote on their own subcommittee (one member-one vote).
- Any subcommittee vote (other than officer elections) will be brought to the entire LGBTQ-FSA for consensus approval, or if contested, confirmatory majority vote.
- Regular meetings shall take place bi-monthly, at pre-accorded times.
Article IV – Governance and officers
- All votes will be by simple majority. Secret ballots will be used upon request by any member and in regular elections.
- Proxy votes will be accepted only for elections and items that have been announced in the agenda.
- Regular elections will take place every two years.
- Quorum (at least two thirds of the members or subcommittee members (bottom rounding)) will be required only for elections and changes to the bylaws.
- The elected officers shall be a President, one subcommittee chair from Faculty and one from Staff.
- Only subcommittee members may vote for their subcommittee chair.
- The Executive Board will be composed of the president and the two subcommittee chairs.
- The Executive Board will act on behalf of the LGBTQ-FSA to fulfill the mission outlined in Article II.
- The Executive Board will be in charge of setting the agenda, with contributions from all LGBTQ-FSA members, and generating the minutes for LGBTQ-FSA meetings.